Monday, September 10, 2012

Tennis Ball original mixed media painting by Polly Jones

Tennis Ball by Polly Jones
I know, what an original title!  This is a little 6" square commission I did a while ago.  It was meant as a present for someone being taken to the U.S. Open, so I didn't want to show it beforehand.  At first I had no idea how I could make a picture of a ball interesting.  It ended up being a lot of fun.  I used the shadows to interplay with the s curves inside the ball;  this helped offset the static nature of a circle inside of a square. 

4 comments:

kath001 said...

Love, love, love this one! The tennis illustrations and references in the print media is great! (I'm twisting and turning the monitor again to see all the nuances, lol)

Polly Jones said...

Thanks! I had fun finding in my stash of papers the tennis related stuff...so glad you're taking the time to see them:) Gotta love the images from the 1960s childrens books.

Lucy May said...

Just found your blog.....loving your painting style!

Polly Jones said...

Thank you Lucy May! Hope you'll check back. I've hope to get on a better posting schedule.