Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Lemon Chaos on Brown and White Transferware original still life painting

8 inch by 10 inch acrylic painting on canvas. SOLD

I chose this brown and white transferware plate so that I would use an earth tone for a change of pace. I began painting right when I should have been doing something else (figuring out supper) It's so much fun to paint while avoiding work. When I picked it up again the next day, the lemons were so shriveled I had to cut up a new lemon and redoing a lot of it. I'm trying to remember which artist said "If it looks overworked, it just means you haven't worked long enough on it." Anyone heard that quote? I think it was one of the post-impressionists.

8 comments:

lightkeeping said...

I love the painting and I love the quote too. It's so mood lifting (the painting I mean:)

Polly Jones said...

Thank you! I appreciate your stopping by and taking time to comment!

myra anderson said...

i never heard the quote but i sure love the painting!

Polly Jones said...

I'm not a very reliable quoter, who knows what the original said. Thanks so much for kindness about the painting!

mary said...

I love this one. Your lemons look so juicy and make my mouth water!

Polly Jones said...

Thanks Mary! I actually got to refrigerate these lemons before they shriveled.

Connie Kleinjans said...

Oh, cool palette. I like that green. I know what you mean about earth tones. I was looking at Carol Marine's work and noticed that most of her colors have a smidge of earth in them. Makes ya think.

Lael Meidal said...

I love this piece, and my mom loves it even more, so I showed her a link to your Etsy shop. It would be lovely to come back to her home sometime and see one of your pieces hanging. (hopefully, of course, my home gets one too!)